Here are 5 tips for cruising through the first week with braces like a pro:
- Take Pain Reliever – Your teeth will get sore after your braces are placed and you go home. You will notice this the most when you try to eat food. It is important to take a headache pain reliever regularly during the first 3-5 days. Taking a pain reliever will help take the edge off the soreness you feel. It won’t make it completely go away but will make it more tolerable. After the first week, your teeth will start to feel better and the soreness will go away.
- Have a “Good Food” List – Before getting braces placed, put together a list of softer foods that you love. Your West Des Moines, IA orthodontist can also help you put this list together if you ask. During the first week, it is important to eat softer foods such as mac & cheese, baked potatoes, yogurt, applesauce and pasta dishes for example. Eating soft foods while your teeth are sore will be easier for your teeth, and will help keep you feeling full, and satisfied.
- Use your Wax – It takes a couple of weeks for your cheeks to get used to having braces. Talking and chewing can cause the braces to rub on your cheeks and create a sore spot. Don’t wait for a sore to develop, start using your wax on any area that is feeling tender or irritated.
- Stay Busy – Don’t lay around thinking about your teeth hurting. Get busy and do something like hang out with friends, watch movies, or play games to distract you from your new braces.
- Be Patient – Getting used to having braces doesn’t happen instantly, it takes time. Allow yourself extra time to eat and to brush. Once you get used to having them, braces are perfectly comfortable. You may even forget they’re there!
Following the tips your orthodontist in West Des Moines gives you will help you during the adjustment period within the first week of having braces. Having softer comfort foods available will keep you full and happy. Use the 5 tips above and you will be well on your way to your new, sensational smile after braces.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
About Stork Orthodontics
Specializing in Metal Braces, Clear Braces, Damon Braces, Invisalign
& Orthodontic Treatment Around West Des Moines, Iowa
West Des Moines Orthodontist, Dr. Stork of Stork Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces for children and adults, including Invisalign and Damon braces. Contact us today for a complimentary braces consultation at our West Des Moines, Iowa (IA) orthodontics office.
West Des Moines, IA Orthodontics Office
4090 Westown Pkwy, Suite 101
West Des Moines, IA 50266